Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dancing on Daddy's Feet




What is it about walking down memory lane that is so sweet? Maybe it is taking the time to really remember those moments we cherish. Maybe it is the photos we have not seen in years that allow the emotions to flood back in and cause our hearts to swell. I'm not sure, but I do know that I love Wednesdays for this very reason.

Today's walk down memory lane for me has no official photo, yet it is so vivid in my memory. I am the middle child in a family of three children. I am the first girl. My dad was my hero most of my life. He still is a man I admire greatly. I have since learned that my heavenly Father is the only one I should hold up to the standard of true hero, but as a child, my daddy was number one.

Some of my favorite memories as a young girl are of time spent sitting on my dad's lap, playing games with him, listening to him talk like Donald Duck so long it made my sides hurt from laughing and watching him with my mom. Above all else, my favorite memory of my dad as a child, will always be walking or dancing on his feet before bed. There did not need to be music, he would either hum his own or our laughter would be enough. My little sister would be there as well, since we shared a room. We would take turns hopping on his "enormous' feet and going for a swirl. How safe I felt standing on his feet, in his arms, while we twirled or stomped up the stairs together. The joy of that moment is precious to me still to this day.

Fast forward 30 years or more, I still adore my daddy and the relationship he has with my mom. I still love spending time with him playing games. I still fall to pieces laughing hearing him talk like Donald Duck. However, there is no more dancing on his feet as I would seriously cause the man pain! So where do I go for this same feeling I once had as a young girl? I run to my heavenly father. I picture me jumping up on His feet, holding his hand, wrapping my other arm around him tightly and twirling with delight. The safety returns. The joy sweeps in. I pray I never get "too old" to dance on my Abba Daddy's feet nor to remember how that makes me feel. As I walk down memory lane today, I am grateful for the Daddy I was given on earth who took time to show me a glimpse of God's love in the way he loved and tenderly cared for his little girl. This dance is for you, Dad.

11 comments:

Lucy Mills said...

This so lovely!! Thanks for sharing your special moments :)

Unknown said...

Jamers,
What a beautiful visual you put in my mind. Yes, I want to be like that with my heavenly daddy - secure as he wraps his arms around me and guides me. Life isn't so difficult when we get as close to our Heavenly Father as possible and simply dance with him.

Thanks for sharing this today.

Julie said...

What a beautiful post & such sweet memories!

Lainie said...

Well said, lady! What do you think our Heavenly Father thinks of our late-night scrapbook dances?

CornFedMama said...

How precious! i hope my daughter has many memories of her father like this, and i know he will be a good example to point her towards her Abba as well! Thank you for sharing, and you found an appropriately precious picture!

Becca said...

This is so sweet. It definitely brought a tear to my eyes!

Linda said...

I have memories of dancing my girls around on my feet like your daddy did. Thanks for reminding me of that with your post today. And thanks especially for the picture you planted in my mind now of my Heavenly Father dancing me around as I hold on to Him! I love that!!!
Your sister in Jesus,
Linda

Laura Hoekstra-Bettig said...

What a lovely blog! I will be bookmarking this to spend some more time later. Loved your memories of your daddy! Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my "house" today! See you next week... :-)

Abigail Kraft said...

Awww!!! That is so sweet! I never did that as a little girl, but I do it with my 1 1/2 year old brother now. :) Thanks for the inspiring and intimate post. I loved it!

In His arms,
--Abigail

Sally-Ann said...

Thank you for sharing. My Dad would practice ballroom dancing with me when I was little. He was a great dancer. Thank you for bringing back the memories!

Kristin said...

Beautiful! I definitely have fond memories of doing the same thing with my Dad. Your post brought back those same memories of love for me. I had never thought about that in terms of our heavenly Father, but that is a beautiful thing to imagine!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin