Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Playing in the Mud!


As always, Wednesdays are all about Walking Down Memory Lane. So I join Lynnette at Dancing Barefoot and many others to do just that. This week, I decided to walk down memory lane with one of my favorite memories of my girls being free and full of great joy. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. So, let's get walking.....

Playing in the rain seems to be one of those things kids just love to do. I have never really figured out why as an adult, but I so recall jumping in puddles as a young girl and beaming with delight. I try to have times like that with my girls. I want to allow them those childhood memories that I cherish but also go against my natural thought process a bit as a mom. Basically, what I mean is that there are times as a mom I can be way too serious. I think too much. What my girls need to be able to do a lot right now is just stop thinking and have complete joy in what God provides.

The pictures below are of a time just like that...a time I let my adult guard down and did what felt right. It had been raining for days and the girls were stuck inside way too long. So at the first sign of clearing, I sent them outside in old clothes to just run and play. That was the part where I let my guard down. I normally would have thought about it and decided they would get too muddy and let's just wait until tomorrow. I did not plan what happened next, but I just loved the joy that followed! I was inside getting something when I saw the girls sliding down the slide out back. The end of our slide has no grass left...only dirt, unless of course it has been raining for days. Then you get the lovely mudslide!

Doodle and Bean taking turns going down the Miller Mud Slide!


These two were sliding down the slide and across our backyard due to it being so muddy! The squeals were too precious. They laughed so hard.When I opened the door to take a picture, they came running to me with joy.
Doodle and Bean running toward me with pure joy!
(and lots of mud)

I knew the mud stains would not come out of these clothes and I hated that I even went there in my mind. I was so glad that I shook that thought and was able to really see their faces. Delight was beaming from each little girl.
Doodle could not stop smiling!

Bean beaming with joy!

Their joy makes me stop and think, what brings me that kind of joy? Is it my accomplishments? my family? my hobbies? or is it the things God provides me? God gives me chances all day long to delight in His provision. The stunning beauty of a sunrise or sunset sparks a indescribable feeling within me. The sound of the ocean waves pounding the shore constantly reminds me of just how big my God is and I stand in awe with great delight. The chirping of the birds every morning brings me joy in God's ability to wake me with out a loud buzzer!

I just pray that I never lose sight of God's provision or to stop and enjoy every ounce of that moment. I know my kids may not have realized they were delighted by God's provision at that moment, but they did not stop and think about all the reasons why they should not slide down that muddy mess over and over again. They just did it. I pray I will see what brings God joy and just do it as well. Maybe next time, I will have stop taking pictures long enough to go hit the slide a few times myself!

10 comments:

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Thank you for reading my letter to Colleen.
I love your posts...I have (since Georgia!) been a play Mom and my girls love nothing better than a rain without thunder and lightning that they can go out and play in!!! I love the unbridled joy those days bring!
Enjoy these years!!!

Pamela in TX

Jenilee said...

I have some great pics of my girls with their rainboots and umbrellas playing in the rain last spring. so fun and great memories!

Jamimania said...

It's important to enjoy the simple things in life. I think that recognizing the gift that God's creation is helps us to appreciate it all the more. :) Love that you let your kids get muddy, that's hard for mom's sometimes. As the kids get older, it's harder and harder - my 17 year old daughter actually announced the other day how should would love to be part of a local storm chasing team. Um.... I wish she just wanted to play in the mud. Bigger kids, bigger dilemmas for momma. :)

Jamimania said...

I just realized that you're "jamers". Jamers is one of the endearing nick names that I had as a child. (along with "Jam" "Jamaroo" "James" the list goes on! I feel like we're kindered spirits. :)

Kristin said...

I love this post!! I am trying so hard to find joy in everything these days and to not take anything for granted. This is a lesson that I needed.....I am way too serious as a Mom too and I really need to make a point of letting my girls just enjoy all the little things (even though they may be against my Mommy instinct). I don't want them to grow up and not have any memories of doing silly stuff like jumping in the mud puddles!

Patricia said...

Oh, to be young again. The days of mud pies when life was simpler. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love reading these as these bring back memories of things my kids have done too, that I need to share! Love the puddle story! :)

Linda said...

Oh, I loved your playing in the mud story,...and the fun pictures.

I am 58, but I have a memory of playing in the mud with my nieces when I was a teenager and they were like 3 and 4.

I was babysitting them and we were in the back yard with our swimsuits on and I was squirting them with the hose, when one of them sat down in some mud and started making mud pies,...and then the other one too. So,...I said I could go inside and get their play dishes and we all three sat in the mud and made mud food and pretended we were serving delicious cakes and pies! It was great fun, and then after we were done playing, we washed off in the hose water and went inside and took our baths!

Thanks for reminding me of this by posting your story.

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Love this...pure joy...our kids have a way of reminding us of the pure joy and freedom God longs for us to experience if we are willing...

Kimberly Pitman said...

It was raining here today and I thought it was beautiful. So nice after a winter full of snow.

If you ever decide to join in a muddy slide escapade make sure you make it one of your memory posts so we all enjoy your fun. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin