Friday, February 26, 2010

Savoring Each Moment

I have found myself giving advice to younger moms lately and realizing I am becoming a "seasoned" mom to those who have young ones. I so cherish those friendships and remember how the moms God placed in my life when I had tiny ones always blessed me. I want to be the same for them yet it is funny how I don't feel that seasoned. :) When I have my friends with younger children over, it brings it right back. I love certain stages so much...well, actually there is only one stage I did not enjoy with my girls but God made them so cute during that time that I would so do it again. :) (the 3's were tough in our house) Regardless, I look at my girls at 12 and 9 and realize we are at a very calm phase right now. I have a friend who calls these years the "eye of the hurricane" because we are not in the chaos of the twos or teen years. I understand fully. So I love living in the eye of the hurricane but I also want to make sure these moms understand to savor each moment right were God has placed them.

When you are wiping up messes for the twentieth time today, remember that God always cleans up our messes without complaining. When we are doing laundry load after laundry load, thank God you are able to have a variety of clothes and are not like the homeless man or woman downtown with only what they have on their back. When you are preparing yet another peanut butter and jelly lunch, thank God that you get to eat with your children on a regular basis and are not sitting through another meeting with your boss. When you start to whine about not having any time for yourself, that is when I want us all to remember there are women who can not give birth, carry a child or afford to adopt a baby who would willingly sacrifice their every moment to serve a baby with love. Ladies, it is all in how we think. If we think we are being taken for granted, we will be. If we think we are not appreciated, we won't be. If we think our kids are a handful, they will be. If we think it is a blessing and honor to be chosen mother of the children in our care, it will be. If we think we are blessed to have the opportunity to be at home, caring after the home and kids, it will be. So today, soak up those moments with the littles because it does pass quickly...I know, I sound old now!:) It is so true though.

I remember like it was yesterday holding that baby girl in my arms for the first time. I never dreamt at that time that I would be standing eye to eye with her and in awe of the young woman God has grown her to become. However, I also get to stand in awe of the fact that I have been blessed to be right by her side for the entire journey to get to where she is today. Don't wish away the moments just to get time alone....savor each loud, messy, crazy day and know the quiet days will come and then you will be wanting to hear those giggles once more. Go play with your kids and let the laundry wait! It's a good thing. :)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Thanks for this awesome post that I SO needed today. We're off to daytime playtime over at the gym - and then an afternoon of school with a "cookie" theme - we're baking cookies... reading books about cookies... using cookies for math... you get the picture. Thanks for being you! :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin