Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tough Lessons

We have been blessed this past year with having two computers as we bought Matt a laptop for his work with the state board. When he does not use it for the board, he leaves it at home which has been such a blessing for school work. The girls do more and more of their work on the computer and it makes it so much nicer to have two available. With that extra freedom has come the gift of both girls earning their computer time simultaneously as well. We do not let them have free reign on the computer by all means, but there are a couple little games they play with friends and they check their email.

I am one of those control freak moms who was not ready for email. When we found zoobuh.com, I was in heaven. This allowed my girls to have email that I set for them. The parent sets the boundaries for the child's email account. For example, Doodle can email grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles, her teachers from co-op and friends we have approved. However, Bean is only 9, she can only send email to grandparents and cousins at this point. Every email they receive or send, I receive a copy in my email box which allows me to stay on top of what is being said if needed. Regardless, there is protection there. I love it!

With that in mind, the lesson we just learned Friday has me still shaking my head! We have allowed the girls to play this little horse game and another virtual pet game. They seem very harmless. What I did not think of was the temptation these little games would put on my girls. One of the girls was on the computer Friday when she noticed her sister had new "friends". She started asking me who they were. When I finally realized what she was truly asking, I looked at the game site and realized my child had allowed strangers to be her friend. Not just strangers...grown men and women! AHHHH!!! We had talked about this exact issue. We have explained why you don't do that and what can happen. Once my heart rate lowered, I asked the child in question, what would make you think it is OK to do that? She replied, " Well, I saw this thing I wanted for my pet and the only way to get it was to have more friends. So I joined a "club" to get more friends."
Did you catch that? GREED!!! My heart sank. I had not thought through the little game teaching greed!!! So, let's just say that while some of us are not going to be using the computer for awhile, Mommy will be rethinking what games she allows her girls to use. I just never thought twice about a "harmless" little pet game.
I am thankful my girls are aware enough to ask questions about what the other is doing. Luckily, by the end of our talk, neither girl wants to be on the said program. One of them is so upset by her choice,that she has decided she doesn't want her email anymore either. A bit dramatic, but I know her heart is just heavy for doing the wrong thing this time. I am thankful this happened in our home, while we could still talk through it and explain the Internet safety rules we have in place one more time and why. Hmmm, those lessons get tougher all the time....on me! :)

1 comment:

Kari said...

Good lesson to be learned. I've never heard of zoobuh.com. Very interesting.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin