Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympic Games Begin!

Our family has thoroughly enjoyed watching the Olympics so far. We get so engrossed in the whole thing and lose track of our normal life really. When we were watching the opening ceremony last night, Bean jumped up off the couch and ran to her room. I thought she was getting a doll or something. She came back with one of our globes. She was watching the different countries walking in to the stadium and decided we needed to know where the countries were on the globe. So we got busy locating each country before the next one was announced.

Along with that fascination, started the draw to each of the flags. So we got out our book on flags of the world. Can I tell you, that while I wish I would have thought of this on my own, I am thrilled that my child came up with it on her own. She wanted to look up the countries. She wanted to figure out what the flags look like. She wanted to learn more about them. Now, we have a map of the world next to our tv. We are going to mark each country that wins a medal as the games go on. I am thankful for the prodding of my youngest to make watching the Olympics more than just something we observe but something we use to learn about other cultures and geography. Another reason I love my job!

1 comment:

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits said...

Hi...Thanks for the comment today on my poem.

Oh,...and Happy Valentine's Day! Hope it is going well. I don't feel real great today...but we are celebrating on Friday when we go to the George Strait and Reba concert.

That is so cool that your daughter came up with the idea of seeing where all of the countries are...and keeping track of what they win is a great idea too.

I think you must be doing a great job at mothering and schooling her.

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Blog Widget by LinkWithin