Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Days and Ice Cream Treats



One of our trees covered in snow... so pretty!!!

Our neck of the woods has been having quite a bit of snow lately. Not nearly as much as the east coast, but still enough for several schools to miss two days in a row and have a few two hour delay days. That is one thing with homeschooling that I tend to allow, one snow day a year!! Many of my friends would disagree, but I so remember the joy I had when I would see or hear our school name on the tv or radio. Woohoo! No school! So I have allowed our girls to have one snow day. Our oldest, Doodle, decided to only use half of that day. She still did her co-op work so she would not be behind. Very wise girl and I love that was her choice so she still fully enjoyed the day.


Two more trees just looking beautiful.

Last Thursday, we had our first snow from this winter storm. So I decided that I needed to do something my mom and dad always did for us at some point each winter....make snow ice cream. The girls put out the large bowls to collect the freshly fallen snow.

Large bowls of snow!

Then we added a little milk, sugar and vanilla. Stir it up and boy oh boy do you have a yummy treat that is just plain ol' fun to enjoy. I remember enjoying this as a child as well. I am so thankful for these little memories I get to share with my children now. I have to tell you they thought I was nuts when I mentioned it. But after going through the entire process and enjoying the treat....
The girls enjoying the snow ice cream.

Well, now they think their mom can make anything out of nothing! Ha! Shhh! Don't tell them any differently yet. I am sure they will figure that out all by themselves soon enough.

1 comment:

Lainie said...

We have got to do this! (How sick are my children? When I mentioned this to them, they started laughing about the chocolate ice cream in Ripley's pasture.) I'd also love to make the snow candy from the Little House Books.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin