Monday, February 1, 2010

How We Roll...or Do School

This year in school, we are focusing in on Ancient History. We have had a lot of fun with various activities both at home and with our History Club. Recently, the girls and I were talking about Greece. So we painted clay pots with some black paint to look like old Grecian pots. They were so cool!
The girls working on their pots.
We tend to read "living books" versus using a text book to gather our information. Then we use these really cool notebooks to document what we are learning and plot the different events as well as people on a time line. At the end of the year, we end up with a book of our own history lessons.

It is amazing to watch the girls eat up history at 9 and 12. I did not appreciate it until I was teaching it to them honestly. Part of that, I think is due to the fact that we study history chronologically and repeat every four years. Whereas, when I was in school it was quite scattered each year. This is our second time to study the ancients and this time there is more meat involved. I expect more from Doodle's notebook because she is older as well. Regardless, I just love walking in the room and seeing them like this:
The girls working away on their history notebooks.
I love seeing them enjoying what they are doing and really catching on to this amazing thing called HIStory. God is so good!

1 comment:

Kari said...

Very interesting technique! My dad being a history buff, I learned to like it and I stand here today thankful for the knowledge I have gained and continued to gain about the rich history of our world!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin