Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pieces on the Floor

This morning was a time of testing for me. As I was entering my daughter's spelling words into the program we use online, www.spellingcity.com, she was standing next to me. We were talking and having a laugh when she stepped back to lean on the wall for a moment. As she did, she knocked off the Romanian decorative plate we have hanging on our wall. It was a gift from our girls from Romania. Above it is the other gift I have from them, an embroidared picture V. made me years ago. These two items are not worth more than my girls broken heart. She cried so hard and thought I was going to get mad. Instead, I had to breathe. I kept telling myself how to reply as I calmly got up from the computer and cleaned up.

"People are more important than things. It is just a plate, it's not the girls. The memory is more important. I can always replace it, not her. :) I am an adult. I am the mom. Do not let her see you get teary. Be strong. Let her know you love her more than that plate. Hug her....not so tight! Ha!"
While I jest with some of the things above, some of them are true thoughts that went through my head. You see, I am fully aware this plate does not hold any value besides the value I place on it. It can be replaced and my daughter needed to be restored right then. So, suck it up, Mom and be the Mom your daughter needs. Hug her, clean it up with her and reconfirm to her that always, always, always, she is more important than any THING in this house. Now, that little lesson was lovely but I must say, a part of me would have preferred to have learned it without losing that plate...but then it would not have been such a sacrifice would it?! Oh, now that reminds me of another lesson, but that is for another day.

1 comment:

Lainie said...

Why do I hear you saying to me, "Hair can grow back. Hair can grow back?"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin