Monday, February 23, 2009

Birthday Revelations


What a joy to be celebrating my honey today. He is having a full day at work and off to Bible Study Fellowship, but we are still celebrating. The girls and I have been cleaning up the house so when he returns home, his "castle" will shine, or at least not be so yucky! We have also found a fun gift for his new laptop, made plenty of pictures for him. It has been fun to focus on him and what would bless him today, which reminded me, isn't that what I am suppose to do everyday?

As his helpmeet, shouldn't I seek to bless him in this way everyday? I know the world would say no, but I know God says yes. I am suppose to be focused on how I can bring joy to his life each day. I know he lives this way with me, so why is it so hard for me? Is it because I am so selfish that I can't see past my own desires to focus on his? Is it because I have convinced myself that I am so busy with the kids homeschool, cleaning, laundry etc., that I don't have time to focus on his needs in this way? I am not sure why, but I do know that something happens to me when I stop and make my man my main focus behind God. My heart changes. Little things that use to bug me suddenly do not. I have more patience when dealing with my kids. I find joy in doing the household chores because suddenly it is not about being "put out" to do this task. It is about bringing joy to this man who does so for me every single day.

The world makes it tough on women to step into this role as helpmeet. It encourages you to take or demand time for yourself as often as you need it, go ahead, you deserve it! I fall into this trap way too often. I am not suggesting we don't need breaks, I am just saying that there are many of us who focus so much on "when do I get my break" that we forget why we are here. On days like today, I realize that if I would just serve Matt the way God wants me to, my joy would be complete. Matt already does a lot around here and with the kids, it is not about that. It is about my heart, my spirit within me. I am able to find joy in serving God through serving Matt with a cheerful heart. Plus, the bonus, I won't go into details, but suddenly I have energy to be the wife he desires.:0) God is good. What a gift to Matt for God to use his birthday to remind me gently of my hearts desire, to serve him with a cheerful heart and seek to serve God in all I do.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin