Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Walk Down Memory Lane



Today's walk down memory lane was tough for me to decide where to head. As I started flipping through my pictures files, I soon figured it out. My joy in life is being home with my kids. I also find great joy in being an aunt to so many kiddos who I just adore. When they were all little, they were at my house so much. Now that I have two teenage niece and nephews, they are so busy and do not have as much time to come hang with "Neeny", which is what they call me. I think this picture speaks a thousand words. It may not be developed very well, but I still love it.


Here are 7 of the 10 cousins sitting on my back deck (before we painted:) eating apples. All the kids had been over playing in our backyard and the three moms were there talking. We use to take bike rides together and have milkshakes afterwards. Such fun! These kids were together so much, I think they thought they were siblings! Our house seemed to be the place to meet up.


This picture was taken when we had our second Cousin Sleepover at our house. Here all of the cousins were able to make it, which blessed us so much. My girls loved having everyone at our home. I adore that they did not care if someone was "too little" to play with or that they were "too big", they just played. I had 10 year olds playing with the 4 year old and loving it! We had girls playing game boy, we had boys beading. It was just them loving being together. At one point, I had 5 kids around my kitchen table painting, two of which were not happy that I had turned off the tv at that time, but loved it by the end.


Why is this so precious to me? I think I have always felt that these kids were my mission field. God chose me to be a mom to the girls in my home most definately, but I also have always felt a calling to reach out to these kids in a way I never had in my childhood. I loved having all of them over to play. I do recall being really tired, but I loved listening to them talk and giggle. I even enjoyed being able to redirect their conversations when needed. I didn't mind the time outs from time to time and I just loved seeing their eyes light up when they walked in our home. My kids were so blessed by the times we all spent together those early years. My oldest daughter still misses having them around because for the first 8 years of her life, they were here so much. Lately, due to busy schedules, shifts in family, parents work, etc, they are not able to come around as often as I would like. But when they do, we all treasure that time. My girls soak up the time they are here and I sit in my chair in my room, listen to the giggles, talking and know this is how it should be. My prayer for all of them is to be close as they get older. They may never sit at the back porch eating apples again, but I pray they will always be there for each other whether it is to take a stand for something they believe in, sit beside someone who is hurting or to share a giggle. I am thankful for the many years of listening to these kids share life and am so grateful to have the joy of being their Mom and Neeny. Now if I can just figure out how to capture the sounds of their laughter in a bottle for the days we need a good laugh!


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

10 comments:

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

What sweet family memories from your mission field. God has blessed you greatly...thank you for sharing the blessing with us!

Becca said...

Oh goodness, that is a lot of kids! I bet it was absolutely wonderful!!

Kristin said...

That is wonderful! I never had a big family growing up, and I wish that I did! It does make me tired just thinking about all of those kids at once, though! LOL
This reminds me that I have got to make a point of having people over at our house to play more often. Sometimes I let the planning of it overwhelm me, when really planning is not necessary, because the kids always have fun no matter what is planned.

Paula said...

I love your cousins pictures....

Linda said...

Kids are great! I loved being an aunt before I had my own kids, cuz it was good training for me. Then when I did have kids I was still very close to my nieces. A nephew came along when I had my second child and that was fun too.
I always liked it when the neighbor kids would play at our house, or when my girls would have sleep overs. And I liked it when my kids friends would call me mom too and considered me a second mom.
I enjoyed your story and your pictures. You sound like a very loving person with lots of love to go around!
Blessings!
Linda

Julie said...

How great for all the cousins to get together! I love that my boys have their cousins nearby, so they'll get to spend a lot of time with them...something I never had. Such great memories! Thanks for sharing!

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Lovely photos and I'm sure special memories were made. Thanks for sharing!

Mindy said...

I love that first picture with them all lined up! How cute is that!

Unknown said...

Those times are truly priceless aren't they. It takes a special person to enjoy that many children in your house at one time! :) You sound like a fun mom and auntie. I'm sorry you don't get as much time with them as you'd like to. That goes for me with my nieces and nephews too. :(

Thanks for sharing.
Lynnette

Abigail Kraft said...

Aww....sweet memories. :) Your nieces and nephews must love having you for an aunt! :) Sounds like y'all have a lot of fun!

Thanks for sharing.
--Abigail

Blog Widget by LinkWithin