Sunday, January 31, 2010

Poppy To The Rescue!

My dad...AKA Poppy

I don't know about you, but I struggled with math all through school. However, one thing I always enjoyed was science. I loved learning about it then and I LOVE teaching it now. The more I learn about the world we live in, the more in awe I am of it's creator. So, I share my passion for teaching with my sweet mom. While my passion for science, is all Dad. Before retiring, my dad worked for Eli Lilly's as a chemist for 40 years. He also managed to have a gift in teaching me ways to remember things in math and science when I was growing up. I still remember some of those silly sayings today.

Recently, I started teaching a middle school chemistry class at our homeschool co-op. I love this age group kids. I didn't think I could but I do. I am geared more for elementary kids by nature but having a daughter in the class has helped me realize these kids are not so scary! :) Anyway, when I saw that we were going to discuss some topics that I would struggle to explain in a way that my students would understand, I gave my dad a call. So last Monday, my dad came in to help me teach my chemistry class. He ate lunch with the girls and then we got started teaching the difference between ionic and covalent bonds using marshmallows, baggies and toothpicks.

Poppy explaining bonds to the kids.

Doodle loving having Poppy in class.

While we were teaching I asked a friend to snap a couple pictures for the year book. What I didn't realize, how much I look like my dad! Here we are listening to questions at the end of the class time.

Like Father, Like Daughter....HUH?

Thanks Dad for taking time out of your day to come save your girl again. It meant the world to me and it made your granddaughter's day.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin