Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Facebooking Your Faith

Well, lately I have had a few people in my life come down really hard on people who use facebook to contact old friends. I was starting to feel a bit guilty. I agreed that it is less personal than a call or note but with the season I am currently in with life, I don't have the luxury of sitting and writing notes to all the people that cross my mind or picking up the phone to talk to them for longer than 10 minutes. I really don't use the phone much to talk to my best friends so how can add this group to my list?!

Anyway, I was just about to jump the facebook ship and give it up when I have recently had the best experiences and conversations with two of my friends from high school. One of them was my best friend through high school. We were really together or talking all the time. We did not always make the wisest choices then but we so enjoyed being together. This recent death of a classmate has brought the two of us back into communication as it was a reminder of how fragile life truly is and we need to take the time to be involved. But something else has happened....I was able to chat with her for about an hour off and on while doing laundry and lesson planning. Our chat started off about this mutual friend, drifted to good memories and ended on the best thing yet...my faith in Christ. She is at a point of wanting to know more about scripture. She is reading through the Bible but has lots of questions. We talked through some things and I was able to invite her to my church or a Bible study. She jumped a the chance!

The other friend was a buddy I so enjoyed while we danced together on the PomPom Squad. We had not spoken since high school and she is a joy. We are both believers and she was struggling in sharing the Word with a cousin who was commenting on her page about gay marriage. I just read the post and thought led to write something. That little comment allowed the two of us to write back forth about sharing Jesus and being godly wives in situations. It was such a blessing.

So, after praying about these two events on my facebook, I have decided to stay put. I do think right now my ministry is at home with my girls and the other children God places in my life. But what an awesome opportunity to also be able to spread the love of Jesus Christ through something so relevant in today's society such as facebook. So I am going to reach out in Christ to these friends of mine from years gone by and pray that God will continue to bring opportunities to my door...or I guess my wall! What a blessing!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Amen! Love this post! I am so sorry about the loss of your old friend - but praise God for those open doors to share your faith boldly! I think it is great to reconnect with old friends - and I am so with you - FB is a great way to stay in touch... I'm even bad right now at keeping my page updated. :-) Also... I'd love to see a photo of you from your old pompom days. Any pix you'll be posting to your wall soon? ;-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin