Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sister Time

What a blessing to have a sister who you enjoy spending time with as a child, even more of a blessing is growing up together and becoming friends who respect each other and encourage each other. My sister and I are totally different in most ways. As short as I am, she is tall. As pale as I am, she is tan. As blonde as I am, she is brunette. As straight my hair is, hers is curly. As much as I am home, she is on the go. My sister and I from outward appearances as well as lifestyle appear to be quite different and one would think that would bring a lot of strife. What I adore about her, the differences. I love that she is so bold and fearless. I love that she lives a life full of activity. I love her kids to no end and I am thrilled to see them shine in the sport she loves, swimming. I cherish all the memories of growing up sharing a room with my sister, Emily. But today, I am just thankful that even when she is super busy during swim season, there are those brief moments of freedom that I can have a short giggle with her or share something we are very much alike in ....our love of chocolate.

Emily is a a strong woman of God who seeks to please Him in all she does which looks very different than the path I have chosen to do the same thing! Go figure! She is a teacher and a coach. Her influence on the teen girls she coaches is endless. I am amazed at the opportunities she has to share her faith through this venue. Her kids see this passion and know it comes from God. God uses whatever you are passionate about to bring Him glory...He made us that way! Who would have thought He could use a sport like swimming to reach so many for His kingdom? My sister has a gift and I am thankful she is using it to honor God as she is through her coaching, teaching, parenting and being a great encouragement to this sister who thinks her little sister rocks! :)

One cool thing that God gave my girls through my sister....whenever people ask our girls if they are " real sisters", Doodle gets so upset. so we have to talk about what it means to be a "real sister". We figure out that it does not mean looking alike, but it involves being there for each other and loving each other no matter what. Well, my sister and I look nothing alike and that helps my girls see that "real sisters" don't have to look alike. God knew what He was doing when He picked my sister before I ever knew I would become a mom through adoption. His hand in my life through picking the right parents, siblings, mate, children is evident and today I just wanted to say thanks for choosing so well. :)

2 comments:

Kari said...

What a sweet tribute to your sister. Not every one has that relationship with their siblings - it's special!

christina grandstaff said...

beautifully said.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin