Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Wide Open Road

Often I talk to my girls about the joy I found as a child in riding my bike for miles. We lived in a rural area and were able to ride our bikes from farm to farm with little concern. We loved stopping by the little store at the campground around the corner as well. Then we had no worries about all the craziness we have in our world today. So we were able to do that with both parent and child feeling at ease. I have always wanted both my girls to know what that felt like to be riding your bike and taking in all of God's beautiful creation as you go. Pedaling so fast you feel the wind against your face and the occasional bug. Trying to hold your hands up so you ride with no hands. Just all the freedom you had at that moment was a memory I recall loving.

Sadly, in the world we live in today and the area we live in today, my girls can not have this freedom. It makes me sad. But yesterday, we visited our dear friends who live in the country. Love even driving up to visit them. With each little town we pass there are fewer and fewer homes, less busyness and scenery that always reminds me of what a mighty God we serve.
While visiting, my friend, Lainie, suggested that the two older girls take a bike ride down to see the horses at the farm down the road. My first reaction was to feel a slight panic only because we don't have the freedom here. Then I thought about it and realized very quickly that this is what I have been waiting for my girls to experience. So, they got their gear on and headed out with cameras in tow. The pictures in this post were all taken by Doodle on this adventure. She could not get over how exciting it was to be on this ride.
She loved all the scenery as well but most of all, she loved getting to see the horses. She adores horses so much so this day was the best day she has had in a long time. She was able to hang out with her best buddy, Emelie, riding bikes on the open road and hanging out with some horses.

1 comment:

Lainie said...

Believe me, letting them ride down the road is nowhere near as scary as the stories they tell about riding on the motorcross track in the woods! I'll be visiting the ER in the future, I just know it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin