Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Disney Mania!!!



Recently, we have had so much fun listening to the adventures or plans of many of our friends' ventures to Disney World. This always brings it right back to us. We love being there. Truly it is just a fun place to be a kid again with your kids if you can let your guard down to do so. Our kids have been blessed in going three times because my husband's parents take us for Christmas every three years or so. That is our gift for that year and we adore making memories versus the stuff.

So that got me to thinking, today's walk down memory lane would be about the trips so far. When we first went to Disney World in 2003, Doodle was 6 and Bean was 3. Bean was not into any of the characters for a long time. We do not have many pictures of her with them. The only ones she would really go up to were Winnie the Pooh (who could be scared of Pooh?), Chip and Dale, Mickey and Minnie.
Doodle and Bean with Mickey Mouse 2003
One of my favorite memories that first year was when Doodle saw the castle, she was very quickly asking to go visit Cinderella.
The castle
I hated to be the bearer of bad news but felt it would be a long four days if I didn't explain that this was not her real castle. It is a pretend castle that looks like her castle in the movie. (which of course she thought was real at the time) Regardless, we walked down Main Street and through the castle to show her how pretty it was inside but also that no one lived there. As we exited the castle, we heard girls screaming and pointing. I turn around and what do I see? Cinderella and the Fairy Godmother standing on the balcony of the castle!Fairy Godmother and Cinderella making me look like a liar.

Doodle turns to me and said,"I told you she lived there!" Made me laugh so hard! Nothing to say to that! Perfect timing! The other thing I think of when I think of that first trip was how much my kids did not know about Disney cartoons! As we were walking through Main Street one day, Doodle spotted Chip and Dale signing autographs. She had one of the books and was trying to get as many autographs as she could. So she yelled," Daddy! There's Chip and Dip!" She was so serious. Matt and I giggled and told her their real names, but somehow we now have grown to enjoy her name for them. So here they are with Chip and Dip! (we wondered if it was also a link to our eating habits!;)
Doodle, Bean, Cousin R with Chip and Dip.

The second time we went to Disney with the family was in 2006. This time Doodle was 9 and Bean was 6. It was so much easier walking around the place having kids who did not have such little feet as well as running off. Face it being 6 versus 3 is just a big difference. We were able to enjoy more of the character meals thanks to Grandma and Grandpa.
Grandma and Grandpa with the girls at Cafe' Mickey.

We were able to enjoy the late hours more as well. When you stay on the Disney grounds, they keep one park open late for the people in the resorts each night. They also open one park early each day. So we take part in those hours because it is so much less crowded. We see more and ride more from 9 pm to midnight than we do all day! However, these long hours started wearing on all of us. The last bus ride back to the hotel, we turn to see all four grandkids sitting together. Well, not all were sitting....
Bean trying to sleep on the bus with cousins and Doodle.

Finally, we just went to Disney again with the entire Miller family in October 2008. We were suppose to go in 2009 instead but it was changed for various reasons. The girls were 11 and 8. This was my favorite time so far as far as low stress and pure fun. I still love the excitement in the girls faces when the see the characters they loved early on but truly they were so tired and there was a lot more whining early on. So for a parent, I loved this trip. We all were able to ride all the rides this time. No one had to sit out and deal with sad little hearts. They all knew what they liked best and were so willing to take turns to see each others things as well. We had very little drama and lots of giggles and fun. The kids were able to spend more time with Grandma and Grandpa walking around as well. That gave the parents some time alone which is always sweet. While all of that is true, I just can't believe how fast it seems to have gone by from pushing strollers, naptime and fear of characters to standing in line at midnight waiting to ride the new Toy Story ride.
Bean and Doodle waiting for the new Toy Story ride.

Time flies by so quickly so really whether it is camping trips as I took as a child or being blessed with Disney mania, just enjoy all the moments God gives you with your kids. Each one will one day add to that quilt they sew together in their minds of growing up in your family. I know I cherish those memories of my childhood camping trips.....but that's another walk down memory lane for another day. Thank you Grandma and Grandpa Miller for such great memories. :)

7 comments:

Linda said...

Oh I know how much fun Disney is. We went last year with our middle daughter (Lynnette) and her husband and kids. We had a blast!

Your story was so cute. I love the "Chip and Dip",...and The castle story. It was great!

I remember how tired we were every night after playing so hard.

I wish we could take our whole family to Disneyland for Christmas,...but we live in Kansas and there are 18 of us. So, it would cost a bundle. But maybe someday is we strike it rich! ((smile))

What really matters is being with them and enjoying every stage huh?

Have a great day.

Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Sally-Ann said...

We always have fun and Disney World. My big kids prefer Epcot and Sam likes the Magic Kingdom. Fun memories for your family!!!

HappyascanB said...

Oh I cannot wait for the days of taking our family to Disney. I guess we'll have to have babies first!?!? Anyway, it's such a magical place!!!

Holly said...

Disney is such fun for kids!!!

Verna said...

Lots of lovely memories.

This is a nice way not to forget them. Thank you for sharing.

Lainie said...

Can't wait to go!!!! We've made our dining plans thanks to all your great advice!

A mom of many said...

How very fun! I was there (the one in Florida) as a Sr. in highschool with my grandparents. It was something this little Minnesota girl has never seen before! I was speechless. Maybe someday we will take our children. Cute girls!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin