Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Alone Time



This week for So We Don't Forget, Lynnette came up with a great idea to write about what is our favorite alone time activities. Wow! That really made me stop in my tracks. I don't have a lot of alone time and when I do, typically it is to accomplish a task at hand. However, I remembered that I do get that time during the school year when Matt takes the girls to Bible Study Fellowship on Monday nights. I also am blessed that my girls are good to give me that time when I really need it if I ask them and set the timer. :)

I adore having some quiet time each day but do not always get it at this time. I am very much a people person who needs quiet to refresh from the people! Does that make any sense?! haha! Truly I do love to be around a group of people and enjoy that time. When I leave, I need quiet. I really enjoy driving in the car with no music or music that reminds me to look around me as I drive at God's creation. Drive time for me is a great time to really think and pray though my family and friends situations.

Sunset at the lake house~ 2009

At home, I love to curl up in my bed for a nap for quiet time. Those naps do not always bring sleep but they always bring the quiet I desire. I pray during that time as well. I think about what needs to be done. I ponder things my kids ask me. I just lay there and let my mind run its course until either I sleep or the fact that I am not is evident and I get up.

I also love to read books when I have the free time to really dig in to one. I tend to read so many books with my girls for school that I don't find time to read for myself much right now. But when I get that kind of time, I love it.

I am a journaler. Is that a word. I love to write...kind of helpful for a blog, don't you think? I love to write in my prayer journals when I am alone. Turn on the music, or open the window so I can hear the birds chirping and just talk to God. Those journals have brought me through many of the tough situations in my life and through the even more joys. I cherish those and know that one day my girls will get to enjoy them as well. It will be a good reminder that we never stop growing in Christ and we are in constant need of His help throughout our lives.
Sunset at Panama City Beach~ 2009

Finally, when I get time alone my absolute favorite thing to do is to sit out on my back porch or take a walk in God's creation. I am a girl who definitely gets rejuvenated by God's creation. I need to hear the birds, I need to smell the flowers, I need to see the colors of splendor as I look around. The blues, greens, tans, yellows, oranges...etc.. all scream to me of a mighty creator who cares about details and wanted to make them pleasing to His children. That is so calming to me. I love it. If I can't sit outside or take a walk, sitting by the window in the winter is good enough. Just seeing the trees covered in snow is truly enough of a reminder of just who God is for me. If I could choose where to spend that quiet time, it would be by the ocean or sitting in the middle of a wooded forest, on top of a mountain, on the shore of a lake, any place I can look around and see God's handy work and be at peace. While those places are not really close to home, I find great comfort in just closing my eyes and getting lost in the sounds of nature. God is so good!
What could be more peaceful than seeing God's handiwork and knowing if He can make colors like that appear with His words, than why do I ever worry about what is going on in my life?! Great source of comfort.



3 comments:

Caroline said...

What a great post & I like alot of those to just finding time, LOL. Thanx for sharing :)
Caroline

Unknown said...

Sounds just wonderful!!! We are kindred in our love for peaceful moments - and especially those that involve nature and all of God's beautiful creation.

Loved your post. That kind of refreshment time is so important.

Your Chum,
Lynnette

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I too love driving with no music on so I can think and pray. It's wonderful to spend that time with God.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin