Friday, August 21, 2009

Flexible Schedules....Changing Goals

Have you ever sat down to plan for your family whether it be for school, chores, trips, whatever and realize very soon after that time that your plan is just not what fits best for the time in life, people or lifestyle you have right now? I know my desire is to get to bed earlier so we can get up and get going sooner in the morning. While this is a deep desire of mine, I have come to realize that my husband's schedule makes it very difficult to follow this early to bed, early to rise mentality. Being that neither of us are morning people, the change does not come easily, but we are willing to try. So what is the hang up?

I originally planned that I would get up between 6:45-7:00 every morning, get my shower and dress. At 7:30 wake up Doodle to get her shower. 7:45 for Matt and then 8:00 for Bean to get up and dressed. We would all eat breakfast at 8:15 before Daddy leaves for work. Then at bed time Bean would go to bed at 8:45 with lights out at 9. Doodle bed at 9 with lights out at 9:30. Matt and I to bed before midnight. (we are extreme night owls!) So far this week, we have only hit these goals one day! Last night I started to get really frustrated when my sweet husband was still playing around with the girls after 9. Then it hit me....am I becoming too focused on the schedule that I lose sight of these moments? People are always more important than paper and planning! I know that is true. I just get so tired of falling short of plans we make. So after realizing I was being silly, I joined in the fun. Later, Matt and I talked about our home and our plans.

Matt's office is open late two nights a week. He does not get home before 7:30 or 8 two nights a week. That puts our family time back two hours from the nights he gets home at 5:30. With that being true, it is tough to pick a set bed time that meets the needs for every night. So we have decided, for now, that we are just going to have to be a bit flexible with the schedule. Our goal is still to have the girls in bed at a decent hour so they get enough sleep for school to be successful. We also want to have breakfast together before he leaves for work. We desire to be in bed before midnight to make this happen. We also want to have the girls go to bed at different times to allow for some one on one with each of them. With all that said, I think I have realized that what works for some families, just is not going to work with my honeys schedule. I tend to long for structure and God continues to show me that the family is more important than the plan. :) Now if I can just let go of the pretty paper I made when I planned it all out! haha! What works for your family?

2 comments:

Lainie said...

Schedules are just a tool. (And you know how hard it is for me to admit that!) Anything that is killing the joy in your home has got to go!

jamers said...

Lainie,

Anything that is killing the joy has to go? Even laundry? Just wondered. hee hee! I know they are a tool and I appreciate your saying that as a reminder. I just really wanted to make this work and it looks so pretty! :) We will readjust and get going on another one. Thanks friend!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin