Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Man, A Shovel and A Moment with God

You know there are not many times I am speechless. Today was one of those days. As the girls and I were sitting by the fire reading about Joshua and the Israelites for history today, Doodle yelled, "Someone's in our driveway!". Now those of you who know Doodle understand that when I say she yelled, I mean she yelled. :) Anyway, I turned to look and saw a man I did not recognize standing by our garage. I noticed he has a snow shovel and after that he got busy shoveling our driveway. I was stunned!

After thinking about it for a minute, I realized the man was our neighbor's son. He has lived with her for the past year or two but I have never been officially introduced and certainly all bundled up, it was hard to tell who was out there. So I opened the door and thanked him and asked him if he needed some helpers. He said, and I quote,

"No ma'am. I didn't think anyone was home. I wanted to do this for the Dr. since he has given me so much dental care for free. I did it last year too and I just want to do this for him."

My jaw hit the ground I am sure. After that encounter, I made him some hot cocoa and sent our oldest out to give him the drink and ask one more time if he wanted helpers. Again, he said he did not want anything from us, just wanted to thank Matt. So I started praying for this man.

When he finished, he brought the mail up to the door and rang the bell. I answered and he asked if I was Mrs. Miller and I assured him I was. He said he was sorry that he interrupted our day but he thought no one was home and just wanted to help out the Dr. because he has helped him so much. I thanked him and reassured him that he did not interrupt our day. I told him that Matt enjoys serving others and what he said next stunned me, " You guys do good mission work. Thank you!"

Do you know how weird it is to watch someone serve you in this way and to be listening to someone talk like that about your family? I am so use to getting up and helping out that it felt like I was being lazy or something but what a blessing this man gave my husband. And truly for this man, what a blessing he got in doing so. I just know that God was pleased with his heart in this moment. Also, what a moment for my girls to hear this man honor their daddy in this way. Truly one of those moments you just can't set up on your own. It was amazing. Only God could arrange such a divine meeting.

As for my girls, well, let's just say that they got to see first hand what it means to be the hands and feet of Christ for others. I wonder who we can go bless tomorrow?!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow... What an awesome thing! Yes - your family is such a blessing to so many others - including us. We are grateful for you all!!!

Tracey said...

What a wonderful blessing!! It's a great reminder to me to always be seeking someone to help - for my own growth as well as to set an example for my daughters.

Kari said...

How awesome that someone showed their appreciation for the help he had received. He was sowing a precious seed! How nice of your husband to do what he does to help people in that area....

How sweet that you made him cocoa!!!

Lainie said...

That is just about the coolest thing! Couldn't happen to nicer folks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin