Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rooks, Pawns and Knights, Oh My!

For Christmas, Doodle received her first chess set. It is very basic but it is called the chess teacher. Each piece has little directions on the base to help her learn how to play. She was excited for this gift as she will be taking chess class in our co-op this semester.
Showing the new chess set on Christmas.

My sister's husband, Mark, is a quiet guy. He doesn't talk a whole lot, but when he does, we so enjoy those times. While we were hosting dinner each night during the swim clinic week, one night I came around the corner to find Mark helping Doodle with chess. She was playing against D-man. So, I did what any good mom would do....I grabbed the camera! :)

Uncle Mark and Doodle watching D-man make his move.

So serious!

I know this seems silly to post about, but you know what, Doodle has a new respect for this quiet man. He laid there on the floor talking her through each move until they beat the D-man, which was something she had not done yet that week. Uncle Mark was patient with her and quite impressive with all his knowledge of chess. We all learned that he played a lot as a kid/teen. Who knew!?! Regardless, loud or quiet, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to get down and teach a kid something new. Thanks Uncle Mark!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin