Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sweetpea and Cupcake

In an earlier post, I shared that I was going to have the opportunity to meet up with a former student's mom when I visited the state house with our co-op. So, yesterday I did that! I had the blessing of meeting up with my precious buddy's mom. As she walked toward me with a beaming smile and outstretched arms, I knew time knew no boundaries. While I had not talked to them since he graduated from high school, I have thought of them often and prayed for them even more.

Chris was the child that had brain cancer at age three and the radiation treatment for that left him with developmental delays. He and I had the privilege to work together when I had graduated from college. We worked for two years and tried to fill in the gaps the best we could. This precious mom would do research and show me what she found and she trusted me to try things that were different than her other children as we both knew Chris's mind was very unique in the way he learned.

After we hugged, she gave me a letter from Chris. It was typed off the computer like he use to give me when we worked together. So precious...

Dear Mrs. Miller,
I am so glad that you are going to meet my mom at the state house. How are you? It's been a long time since I saw you. I use to be your helper in your school. I miss you so. Tell Dr. Matt I said hi.
Love,
Chris

Oh my heart filled with joy! This boy, now age 24 but does not look any differently than he did at age 10, had not forgotten our time together, which I so would have thought to happen. His mom went on to explain that he still has the picture of the two of us on his shelf and uses all the tricks I taught him in doing his daily activities. She wanted me to know that all he knows now, he learned from our time together. Well, I don't know if I would say that is true, but from this mom who has been home for the past 12+ years, it touched my heart.

We shared stories with my girls of the time we spent with each other. She told them what a blessing I was to their family and that they had the best teacher. Again, humbled but grateful. I shared with her how the girls use Chris' nickname for me now....cupcake. She giggled at remembering that story: I always call little ones sweetpea as I talk to them. "come on, Sweetpea". So one day, he asked why I call him that. I told him I say it to the kids I work with. He said, " well then you are going to be cupcake!". After that, if you saw us in the hall, I would be encouraging him by saying, "Let's go, Sweetpea" and he would respond, "Ok, cupcake!" My girls do that now as well. Still brings a smile to my face as it was such a sweet memory.

After her sharing what he is doing and walking down memory lane together, I asked HOW he was doing. She immediately turned from a smiling face to seriousness. She went on to share that he has cancer again, or so they think, and if so, it is inoperable this time. She shared this with tears in her eyes but was trying so hard to be brave in front of my girls. She looked so fearful standing there and my heart just sank. How can this be? This little guy, well this 24 year old child, has had to battle cancer four times. How is this right? I struggle so much when I hear stories like this.

Last night, I was very weepy over this situation. I just couldn't get them out of my mind. We agreed to get together as families soon. I want that to happen so badly. I do not want Chris to leave this earth and me not have taken time to let him know what a special student he was for this teacher. He taught me more than I taught him. Watching him struggle as he did just to do daily things, was what I needed to see at that time in my life. Who was I to complain about infertility, when this child could lose his life?! I kept thinking of our time together and how much it blessed me at a dark time and then it hit me.This was another divine appointment in my life. How blessed was I to have a connection like this with this family. Their perseverance and drive to help their child was amazing for me to watch. What I learned from my time with Chris has lead me to be the homeschool mom I am now. I know not all kids learn the same and God has created each mind to learn. It is my job to figure out how. It may not look "normal" but if the child gets it and it works for them, Great! So today, I am still feeling very weepy as I ponder what is to come. I also am feeling a sense of urgency. I know that what this mom told me took courage after all these years but how it blessed me. I was able to share with her as well, what a blessing Chris was for me during that dark time of waiting for a baby of my own. I wonder who else I need to let know what a blessing they have been in my life before I regret that I did not take the chance.

1 comment:

Mc Allen said...

wow, this story was so touching, thank you for sharing it. Truly sounds like you were both blessed!!! xoxo LA

Blog Widget by LinkWithin