Monday, March 22, 2010

Rejoicing

This past week, I have watched my sister and mom go through a very tough time in the school system in which they both work. This is the same system my girls would attend if we chose to educate in public school. Anyway, as in many systems around the nation right now, there are budget cuts and many teachers are losing their jobs or are being asked to make changes somehow. I went to a school board meeting with my sister and my mom to hear about the proposed cuts. I always feel a bit awkward walking in just because my mom has worked in the system for over 30 years, this is the school I attended and my girls would attend if we didn't homeschool. I feel as if everyone is wondering why I am there...like I am a traitor. However, I am an educator by trade and I am also a tax payer in the district. Beyond that, my sister's job was on the line and no matter how much I felt watched, I was going to be there for her.

After attending the meeting and observing all that took place, or shall I say...all that did not take place....I am more confident of our decision to homeschool our children. There is no way I would want this group of people to make decisions for my child's education. They did not seek out advice of parents, they just took the advice of the superintendent and did what he said. I felt they were more like yes men than board members. It really made me sad. No teacher was given a chance to give ideas, no taxpayer able to be heard, all of the decisions were made by these 6 people. Most of them do not even have a child in the schools now! So they are making decisions on children's future based on one man's opinion. It made me so sad. My sister is a P.E. teacher at an elementary school. All three elementaries have lost their P.E. program. Now, my sister has said she was fine with knowing things had to be cut and obviously they are not cutting math! However, she felt it would have been wiser to cut one art, one PE, one music teacher and then rotate the others to make sure all students would have all three options. Wow! There's an idea...if only someone would have asked her opinion.....Let me say it again....I am thankful to live in a country that allows me the freedom to educate my children at home. I foresee that occurring longer than I imagined after this experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would strongly urge parents in the corporation to let the school board members know how wrong it is to eliminate the p.e. programs in the elementary schools. If people don't speak up, the members will think they've done the right thing.
I know you're not part of the schools, but tell your friends who are.

jamers said...

I have done just that. I also have been praying over how to best assist in this area even though my girls are at home. We don't know what tomorrow will hold and I want what is best for them wherever they go. :) Thanks!

Kari said...

Schooling is a hard decision process these days and with all the bad that goes on in schools, it's becoming easier to decide to homeschool. Why in the world do they cut PE (they did it here too) when it's proven that childhood obesity is on the rise????

Blog Widget by LinkWithin