Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Unexpected Visitors

On Saturday, the girls and I had gone to the grocery store after Doodle's dance class. We were unpacking the groceries when two men came walking up our driveway. They were dressed in their Sunday best and had a Bible with them. I was pretty sure this was team going door to door witnessing for their faith, which is not ours. I knew this was going to be an awkward meeting in front of my girls but thought Matt would come out and save the day. :) As the men walked up, I started praying for wisdom and strength.

While I do not desire to debate doctrine or theology through my blog, I will say as for me and my house, we serve the Lord and believe His Word only. We believe the Bible to be the true Word of God and it is alive and useful for all things everyday and every day to come.

With that said, these men had another book they viewed equal to the Holy Bible. They were kind, considerate and tried to quote their scripture to me about family. That is where they get people sucked in to their beliefs. Family is huge with this group and I must say that I see why people desire that. However, the one thing they do not do well is recognizing God's family, His Son, as deity. We believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father and all others fall short. Scripture supports that and we stand by it.

The men tried to give me information and I asked who publishes the item. They told me and I thanked them for their time and kindness but as for our family the only place we go for guidance with raising our children, marriage and family is straight from God's Word, the Holy Bible. They were kind and seemed stumped as to what to do or say then. God won that moment. I was sweating and my girls looked at me like I had a fire on my head! I think I shocked them in being able to stand up to these men without Daddy. What I shared later was that it was not me, it was Jesus using me to share His truth. This message on this day was not for these men. I think it was for me and my girls. They needed to see that Mommy is not just their teacher, laundry woman, cook, cleaning woman, and nurse. They needed to see that Mommy is capable to take a stand for Jesus and He will give her the words to say and bring the opportunities to share His Truth with others. I had been praying about having opportunities to share my faith with others outside my family and isn't it just like God to have them walk right up my driveway. I have to say that I was humbled by their knowledge of the Bible and need to take that challenge to be sure I am just as versed in God's Word so that I do as Christ and quote scripture as tempted or fed lies. Have I mentioned lately what a mighty God we serve?!

1 comment:

Kari said...

Awesome post. I always sigh when I see them coming to our door, because some have been rude when I tell them I'm born again - and they try to convince me that they support that. They are well versed in scripture, so we need to be also, because their source is not God. I'm proud of you, as a mother myself, who needs to be able to have the courage, in front of my children and husband, to defend and uphold my faith in Jesus!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin