Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday's Walk Returns!!!!

What a blessing to be back to walking down memory lane again! I go through phases where I just don't have the time each week to post, but these are always my favorites since I am such a sap. This week is easy to choose what to write about...BSF (Bible Study Fellowship).
For 11 years, I attended BSF. First alone at the evening class. Then I took one year off when we adopted Doodle. Then I took Doodle and my nephew once she was 2. Each year, I added another daughter, niece or nephew to the mix as they turned 2. They were able to go with us until they were entering 1st grade. So, some years I only had two kids. Other years I had four following behind from ages 2-6. I loved making my little train of kiddos as we traveled from the parking lot to the church. The older kids, now 13-14, giggle about the silly songs I sang to keep all the kids safe at that time.
"Keep your hands on the van, on the van.
Keep your hands on the van, on the van."

My husband makes me laugh when he says I was training them to be on COPS tv show since they would hold their hands on the van as they sang that song! Ha! It was the only way I knew to keep them all safe until I got all of them out, coats and bags collected and then walk into the church. It worked!

My little BSF buddies 2004~ S-man, Bean and C

For three years, I was even blessed to be able to have my grandma join us on this little train journey. I am sure we were a joy to watch as my Gram would start the train with her walker, then the middle aged kiddo holding on to her walker, each child then holding the hand of the one in front until I was the caboose. It was so funny to hear them each week sounding off,"Choo Choo!". Cracks me up thinking about it even now. You would think they would get sick of it over time.

I have taken four years off BSF to focus on homeschooling the girls. Now that they are 13 and 10, they are very capable to do some work without me standing over them. So with the new study of Isaiah.... I was eager to jump back in with both feet. ;) Today I did something I have never done....I drove my van to BSF without singing the, "We're on the way, we're on the way, on the way to Bible School" song, yet I heard 6 little voices singing it in my head. (all the kids I have taken over the years) I walked straight into the sanctuary without stopping by the children's wing, which felt so odd yet good. Change is good.

I must tell you that sitting in that sanctuary was an odd feeling at first. The last time I attended BSF I was with my Gram. She since has passed away. She use to sit next to me, grabbing my notes to see what she missed or letting me (as well as those around us) that she couldn't hear. :) Oh, the memories I have of these precious days together. There were days I recall thinking that it was not worth all the hassle to get there. But now, looking back....I can't imagine doing it any other way. These 8 cousins have been rooted in God's Word in a way that I can't even imagine how it will impress their lives now or in the future. I never had that opportunity to dig into God's Word at this level when I was their ages. Not only did I start back this week, but all 8 cousins are still attending BSF, but now they go with my husband, their Nana or their Poppy to the evening classes. It's an amazing legacy of learning to dig deep and seek God and I am thrilled to have had such sweet moments with my girls as well as some of their cousins.

7 comments:

Jenilee said...

love the picture of everyone with their hands on the van! great post! I hope you enjoy the Isaiah study... sounds really good!

Debbie Petras said...

I am so glad you decided to post on this Wednesday's walk down memory lane. I am a BSF'er too. I attended the first class on Isaiah on Monday night. It was wonderful and I'm so excited about continuing to study this year.

I completed all seven years of BSF and then began repeating them. I was a BSF children's leader for seven years and loved every moment of it. My husband and I were unable to have children. When I was asked into leadership to teach the children, I told them I had no experience and I had worked as a cardiovascular nurse dealing with mostly older people. But I felt the tug in my heart from the Lord and my husband encouraged me. So I said YES and never regretted it.

The first time I taught the Bible study lesson to a class of four year olds, they all ran over to me and gave me a group hug. I almost cried as I felt the Lord speaking to my heart that He never forgot that I loved children. What better way to spend time with them teaching them about Jesus?

I will come back to visit you. I hope you will post more as you study isaiah.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Grace~The Mommy On the Bus said...

I'm gonna have to remember that "hands on the van" song! I need tips like that!!! :)

Nicole said...

Welcome back, friend! I am so excited to be going through the study as well... It will be fun to talk about what we are learning - and what a blessing that all of our kiddos and hubbies are involved as well! Enjoy reading that first set of notes! :-)

Anonymous said...

What a wonder "Wednesday walk" message! I love the first pic--now there are two of those kiddos in the car with their Nana and me!

This is my seventh year in BSF and I love the discipline of studying His Word. Plus, having taught Sunday School for as many years, I get to use what I've learned in BSF in my lessons...and vice versa. What a blessing!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Adorable photo! I dont know if it is just me...but I cannot read what is posted. It is coming up in strange symblos instead of in English.

Blessings & Aloha!
Please let me know if any one else has mentioned this.
I am finally coming by through WDML...

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

I just wanted to let you know that I went in and out of your blog a few times and then finally closed my Safari thing and logged back into Safari server.. yay! I can read your blog now... that was very strange...the symbols looked like maybe a cross between Russian and Arabic! haha

What great memories...I loved your hands on the van song! :o) and had to laugh at your husband's comment. I remember singing something similar when our three were little and I would be watching some of their friends for a playday...making sure that everyone was holding hands to a park, etc...

Blessings & Aloha!
I am getting around to the other great participants on WDML...if you get a chance, please stop by.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin