Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Science Fair 2010

I don't know if I have ever mentioned it before or not, but I LOVE science experiments. I really do. I am that weird mom that enjoys the mess as we work through the process. Granted when it is over, I hate the mess as well. But watching those little minds work while trying to figure something out amazes and blesses me tremendously. With that passion, I then go to our homeschool co-op and teach science. This year, I taught middle school science. We decided it would be a great experience for our kids to have a science fair. So I jumped on it!
Bean with her experiment on gas...which moves faster...warm or cool?

I really worked with my class to be prepared for the fair and wanted to make sure they knew what to expect but also felt confident to present what they had done to the judges. Speaking of judges, we had to find some! Where to turn? Oh wait, did I mention I get my love of science from my dad? He is a retired chemist from Eli Lilly's. Go figure! So I asked him if he knew any of his buddies that had judged science fairs in the past. He did and he informed me he had on a few occasions as well. So, we ended up with my dad and two friends from Lilly's judging our fair as well as one of the dad's. It was great.
Doodle with her experiment on worm castings effect on plants.
Doodle and Bean each had their own projects entered. They did a lovely job talking to the judges. I was amazed Bean even talked to the other judges, but she did! I think having Poppy there helped her relax a bit. Regardless, my girls were so happy to have earned ribbons: Doodle came in second in her age group and Bean came in 3rd in her age group. (even without Poppy's score, in case you wondered)Judges talking with the girls. My dad is in top picture with light blue shirt.

While I was so proud of my girls that day, I also had a very teary moment when the student who won from my class, got his award. I have watched this guy come in to our co-op in August who talked out of turn, didn't complete assignments and really struggled to figure out what he was suppose to do. I felt badly for him at the time but I was also frustrated as his teacher. Once I talked to his mom and figured out that he had not been in a classroom setting ever, not even church, my heart could then soften and realize he just needed a bit more tender training. In January, I saw a noticeable difference in his work and I mentioned it to his mom. She told me that he had decided he was going to get all 'A's this semester. He had flipped that switch and knew he could meet the potential we all saw in him. So when science fair came around, he was the first one to tell me about his project. He worked on earlier than the others and was so passionate about his project, which I think is what soared him past the others to win. This little guy, who is taller than me, was able to flip the switch and win the entire thing. My heart, as a teacher, was just moved beyond words. To have such a drastic turn around in a year is seldom witnessed, but to get to see it first hand how God rewarded this young man's decision to take his education seriously, well, let's just say I couldn't look at him for a moment because my "allergies" were acting up. I could not have been more proud of him.The winner of the Middle School group...so proud!

It is funny to imagine that I could feel that same way for my girls whether they come in 1st or last, but this time it was for a student, which has not happened in a very long time. It was a wonderful day that I pray we do again next year...that is if the parents don't take me out the woodshed first! :)

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Good Morning,I am a new follower from Indiana.And if I believe I red correctly we are closer thatn we think,I am in Fountaintown,Indiana.My family and I live on a little hobby farm with lots of chickens.I homeschool my 9 yr old son and couldn't have it any other way.You have a beautiful family.I am enjoying your blog,keep up the good work.
Blessings,
Jamie Tobin

Lainie said...

You are the BEST teacher. You should probably be grateful we don't live closer. Your kitchen would always be full of little Stumpfs wanting to blow stuff up!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin