Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Spectacular Seven!!!!



Today's Walk Down Memory Lane is in honor of my little nephew we will call Mater. Today is his seventh birthday so it seems fitting that I take a day to share some of my favorite memories of my little buddy.
Mater at age 2 during a family portrait session at my parents.

Mater is number 7 of 8 grandkids on my side of the family. He is my sister's youngest child and he is a riot! This kid makes me laugh so hard. He has a little southern twang that we just can't quite figure out but it is the cutest thing ever. Add the little dutchy speech when he was younger and I would just giggle at some of the things that have come out of his mouth.
Don't you just want to swoop him up and kiss on those cheeks?!

Mater did not get to stay at my house as much as his older brother and sister because when he was born, I would have had 3 under 4 in my house and only one of them was mine. With beginning homeschooling, I felt it was time to stop watching my sister's kids. That decision was one of the hardest things ever for me. Yet my sister handle it with such grace and love. She knew it was not personal. I adore her kids. It was just time. With that lack of daily interaction, I feared I would not have the same bond I do with her older son, Drew. I love hearing about what is going on in their life and watching them change before my eyes. So I missed that part and was sad about it for a long time. When Mater turned 2, he started going to Bible Study Fellowship with my Bean, his sister and me. I think we also had my other niece Nay that first year. Regardless, he loved Bible School as he called it. We sang silly songs all the way to the church and would march inside holding hands like a choo-choo train. What a joy!
Mater's first day to BSF with the ladies!

I think one of the things I enjoy so much about Mater is that he just sees life through such innocent eyes. He does not ever appear to be easily angered or sad. I am sure he is, he has just learned to let things roll with the punches. Even when he broke his collar bone at his own birthday party, he still was sure he was fine. He just is not a complainer. What a gift!

First Baseball Uniform...looking too big!
Now, whether it is baseball, swimming, reading or riding bikes, Mater loves for his family to watch him. When he visits, he is constantly saying, "Neeny, look at me". He just wants to see your smile as you watch what he is doing. He wants to please.
reading to me during Nana's school.

One of the coolest things, this little guy is a cuddle bug. He loves to curl up and let you read book after book to him. Now that he is old enough, he is reading on his own, but he still wants you to be right there curled up by him with a blankie. I think I appreciate that while I do not have sons of my own, my sisters boys have always filled that void for me in some ways. I see the differences in how God made their little spirits and truly it is amazing how much of that is just in them!! I am grateful my sister allows me to be so gushy with these guys and knows that at the end of the day, there is no one this little guy would rather curl up next to than his mommy. I'm just grateful I get to cuddle up and listen to him read now. Time flies!
This year's baseball trophy. He chose to come to my 40th birthday party and miss his last game where they pass out these trophies. What a sweetie!

4 comments:

Kari said...

I loved this post. Your nephew is adorable. I have a nephew who will be 9 in September and I was his 'daycare' for five years - until he started kindergarten and I had my own baby to take care of.
I love him like my own and he is so special to me. He always comes with us on our family vacations each year (has for the past 4 years) and he is just an amazing kid. So - I relate to how you feel about all your nieces and nephews and the closeness you all have.
Great post!

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Mater seems like such a sweetheart...and it is easy to see that he has a very special place in your heart. Your sister is blessed to have you in her children's lives!

Linda said...

Mater is cute, and I liked your story of the closeness you share with him.

I was very close with my sister's kids when they were growing up too and we will always have that bond.

I am glad that you joined in today.

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Unknown said...

How wonderful that you have such a great relationship with your nephew. He certainly IS a cutie!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin