Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Baker's Dozen!

2009 school picture

Today is Doodle's birthday. Thirteen years ago today, I met my girl. Matt and I got to go to the hospital to meet her, feed her and love on her. What a special memory that is. I will never forget it. So, today I honor my girl, who is quite the lovely young lady. I am amazed at how much advice I have gotten about having a 13 year old girl lately. None was positive. Saddens me really. I think we get what we expect from our kids. So with that in mind, let me just celebrate this 13 year old girl today by listing 13 wonderful blessings of Doodle!

1.) Doodle has always hummed when she eats food she enjoys. Started when she was eating with a bottle and still to this day it is true. Don't believe me....bring over chocolate cake and listen! Sweet!

2.) I adore this girls sense of humor. She makes me laugh over some of the silliest things whether it be dressing up and acting like there is nothing wrong or her endless catalog of jokes. Love it!
Doodle and her critters!
3.) I love to listen to her giggle. I always have. When she gets that gut busting giggle going, oh my, I can't help but join in. What a complete joy!
She adores getting muddy...never figured that out since she can't stand to have dirty hands. Hmmm...
4.) It touches my heart so much to see my girl stepping up to greater responsibilities without being asked....she gets it. With age comes responsibilities. Some kids hate it, she thrives on having more because that means we trust her and know she can handle the task at hand. Love her drive! I never have to get on Doodle to do her school work, house work, any work. I love her work ethic. She sees a task that needs done, she does it.

5.)I love to listen to Doodle play the piano. She has such passion that comes through and shows her heart in the music. Sounds quirky but it is true.

6.) I adore how Doodle enjoys playing still. She has days she wants to just read or watch a movie but she often is found playing with her sister or other family friends. It does not bother her to morph back into her childhood and become something from her imagination with her little playmates. I love that she is not "too big" to do this still.
Doodle dressed up like a dinosaur! RRRROOOAAARRR!

7.) I love her heart for people. She sees in people things I don't always see and she keeps me honest in that.
Doodle with her science fair project~ 2010

8.) Doodle is the most disciplined kid I know...and not just with work, school etc. She would rather eat a salad at home than head out to eat. She has a passion for taking care of the body God gave her. I love seeing how she desires to be healthy and not just focus on looks.
Doodle with her team's Bible Bowl trophy...2nd in Nationals in 2009!

9.) Doodle enjoys being protected and kept young. Some of her friends and cousins seem to be in such a hurry to grow up and honestly I would have been like that. However, Doodle is not. She loves movies that others would say are "babyish" or that we don't watch shows on tv that promote boyfriends/girlfriends. She loves feeling protected by her parents. She trusts us fully to tell her no and understands that no is not to be unkind and has never questioned it. I have offered her more freedoms as she has aged and she prefers the safety of our boundaries.

10.)I love Doodle's passion for the things she adores: horses, ballet, science, swimming...musicals! She gets you all excited by just listening to her new ventures.

11.) Doodle loves her friends very much. While that is true, she loves being with her family even more....including her cousins. I love that she is wired to want to be with them and that family comes before friends.

2006~ Doodle and one of her best buddies Em

12.) I love this girl's new fashion bug! This is new and very fun. We spend many mornings out with a fashion show of sorts until she figures out what she wants to wear. She has a desire to figure out what works together and why....or why not. What I love about this new fashion bug....she doesn't want to look like every other 13 year old girl. Nope! No carbon copy here! She likes having her own style and it is modest and sweet!

13.) Most of all, I love this girls passion for her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I don't know many adults who have the dedication she does. Every week at church she takes notes during the sermon. Upon arriving home, she draws a picture or makes a poster with a challenge or scripture to help her work on an area mentioned during the sermon. Wow! That gets posted on her wall and I see her working on it. Now if only her mom could do that! :)
Doodle's new adventure....online chess while talking to a friend. :)
I love you very much, Doodle! You could not be more beautiful if you tried, inside or out. I see in you such joy and hope. I pray you never lose your zest for life and your love for the Lord. I also pray you never fit in to what the world says is cool...no matter how much they want to make you try. I love that you enjoy being your own person and see the glory in being who God made you to become. I am eager to see what God has in store for you as you begin this new journey to adulthood. :)
Love ya girl! Hugs!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I still can't believe she is a teen! She is such a beautiful young lady... I am sure you are very proud of her! She is a blessing to so many others!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin