Thursday, April 15, 2010

What's the big deal in one word?

As I told you earlier this week, I attended the Midwest Homeschool Convention in Cincy last weekend. I also warned ya...I was challenged quite a bit and would be writing about some of the things I learned in days/weeks to come. :) Flee now if you can't take anymore! :)

This time, I want to mention something that was said in a talk about parenting the strong willed child. The speaker was John Rosemond. (my mom's favorite) So I went to see what all he had to say and to let Mom know how he did in this setting being that he is not known as a homeschool speaker. I was intrigued. He did not disappoint in this talk.

I sat through the first few minutes truly wondering when he was going to jump into some helpful tips I could take home. It did not take long before I figured out this was no ordinary seminar and while the title might have been about the kids, it was really more about me and the way I think.

One main point he brought up was the fact that in the 50's, women who stayed home to raise their children were called "housewives". Today in America, women who do the same are called "stay at home moms". What's the big deal with that...you might think. Well, in God's eyes, that is a huge deal. You see, we have managed to take the focus off the marriage and totally on the kids. When dads came home in the 50's they went to see their wives first to see what the day had in store for him. Now, they come in and play with the kids and leave talking to their wife til the end of the day. Now, I am not anti-dad time nor am I anti-stay at home mom. I am one!!! However, if for one minute, my kids think they come before their dad, well, I haven't done my job well. For I know from example in my childhood home that the best gift a dad can give their child is to love their mom. My dad was a quite man and seldom did he raise his voice. One way to get him to do so would be to speak disrespectfully to my mom. At that moment, she was not "mom" but "my wife". I remember Dad telling me in the car one night, "Don't talk to my wife that way again.". End of story. Now, my dad does not remember saying this at all. Which I think is the beauty of it all. When we place the marriage first, we are team for our kids and they know it. They know they can't play games against one parent or vice versa. I was challenged to make sure my kids know that the marriage comes first. Something I think a lot of us could remember.

Oh, and if you wondered what he said about parenting the strong willed child...well he saved that for the last five minutes. Bottom line, we all are strong willed, if we weren't we wouldn't need Jesus! Loved it! The only difference between a child and an adult is that adults have learned how to be diplomatic about not getting their way. Kids need to be taught how to do that. How do we do that? He referenced the sermon on the Mount when Jesus said, " Let your yes be yes and your no be no." Hmm....seems so simple. But it is so true! He also challenged us to talk to our great-grandparents and grandparents to see how they raised kids and do it just like them. He said America has spent too much time listening to "experts" like him and they need to listen to wisdom. Point made....so what am I going to do about it? Simple, I want to make sure I am not being wishy washy with my discipline. I need to make sure the girls know what Daddy says, I support and vice versa. I need to make sure that above all, God's truths are seeping into every aspect of our home and teaching the girls how to become more diplomatic in not getting their way. Use the teachable moments and lean on God! Sounds doable to me! :)

1 comment:

Verna said...

Jane Ann, I so enjoy reading your blog, but especially enjoyed reading this one. My Dad was very much llike yours, quiet, and always very respectful of my Mom. I also really liked reading John Rosemond's parenting advice and this was a great tip!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin