Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bean's Wings



Today is a big day in our house. Some of you might even giggle at the silliness of this post. However, for me it is truly a big day. Bean is off on an adventure with her Indiana History class from co-op. They left this morning about 8:30 and will not return until 5. They are exploring the different areas around Indy that tie into topics they are studying. Normally, I go on these trips with them. I love going on field trips with the kids and seeing their little eyes light up with amazement...well, usually anyway. Today, however, I am at home with Doodle finishing up the last stuff for our co-op Science fair, which is kind of my thing. As I drove out of the driveway at my friend's house, I suddenly got a weird feeling and I had to take a moment to think of just how far my girl has come in a few short years. It is sweet to see her spread her wings and soar!

Bean age 5 looking way too cute!

Bean is terribly shy. She always has been. When she was younger, she would hide behind my leg when someone talked to her. She did not initiate conversation and never would she perform on a stage. I remember having to carry her up to get her award from her gymnastics coach when she was 4. There was no way she was going to walk across that stage to get it. I worried about her following the shadow of her very animated older sister. Would she come into her own or would she always need me to speak for her or to stand beside her and tell her what to say? I remember seeking advice when she turned 5 feeling that it was time to really start attacking this issue in her life. So we did.

Bean has a great sense of humor which she shares with family all the time. Love it!


Bean started practicing at home how we look people in the eyes and say hello. We practiced hugging grandparents good bye and saying thank you. We practiced being a good friend by speaking when spoken to. We practiced ordering food at a restaurant. We practiced saying thank you to the waitress. Oh, the things we practiced at home! Over time, we started to see our girl sprout her first little wings...she ordered her food without asking me first! What?! Can it be?


We joined our current homeschool group three years ago and at that time, Bean was very cautious. She did not speak to any adults and few kids. She has always needed to feel comfortable in order to speak. New situations cause her to shut down to her protective mode. As we have gotten to know people at co-op and she has made so many friends, I have seen her start to really take off on her own. She use to eat lunch with me every Monday as she did not want to walk up to a table and ask if she could sit there. Not true now. She hardly ever sits with me now unless she just needs some momma time. Then comes this trip. I was suppose to go on this trip. I wanted to go. My great aunt passed away on Monday so I need to be gone on Thursday. All that means, I need to have my science fair stuff for Friday done by this evening so I can go be with my mom's family tomorrow and not worry about it. That meant, I needed to bow out of the trip. I told Bean about it and asked her if she still wanted to go knowing I would not be there. Oh boy, that is when I saw it. My girl has wings!!! Not just little buds, but actual wings! She wanted to go and she knew she would have fun. She also had no problem asking one of the adults for help if needed. Do you realize what that means? She feels comfortable enough with these precious women that she can soar. Oh what a journey we have had watching this precious girl sprout her wings. Today I am rejoicing in her taking flight....even if it feels a bit odd to not be there! :)

Bean on first day of co-op this year.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

What a special day. Thank you for sharing your sweet story. I hope she has a fabulous time! :D

Caroline said...

What a important day and praying she has a awesome time !!
Have a great Wednesday !!
Caroline

Gottjoy! said...

I know you feel so proud of her. My third child is also very shy, so I know where you coming from. It is good that she found a safe place with people that let her spread her wings.

Nicole said...

Yeah Bean! So glad she got to go... We'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow... praying for you too.

Jenilee said...

How sweet. I'm sure that is a big step for her to be there alone and for you to not be there! :) sweet pictures too :)

Linda said...

I'm glad Bean has come so far! You have taught her many things in the comfort and security of your home, and prepared her for days like this! Yay mommy...and Yay Bean!

Blessings!

Linda @ truthful Tidbits.

I linked up late today. Come for a visit if you can.

Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin