Friday, September 18, 2009

Who's the Boss?

Recently, our pastor has had a series on Wednesday nights called: Raising Godly Kids in an Ungodly World. It has been an eye opening series with facts and statistics that caused my heart to weep. This week was on the parents. Ouch!

The one thing that really stood out to me that night was the fact that as parents, our kids need to know who is the boss in our home. When they do not know that for sure, they feel insecure when they are little but disrespect as they get older. That made me think of our home.

Do my girls both know who is in charge in our home? I was humbled by the answer. One of them does for sure. She does what is asked usually with no complaints. However, I must admit that I have dropped the ball with our other daughter in this area. Not sure how or when that happened, but there are times she is running the show with her drama or demands. So, since that is true, Daddy and I have made some changes and it has been a bit painful for all three of us. We are not caving to the attention getting schemes and we are demanding lovingly that she do what we asked when we asked. Typically, she would say," ok, but first let me do....." That seems harmless but when you look at it closer you see that she is controlling that moment and by the way, she never seems to get around to what we asked. So, we are really working on this area as well as others that I will share later. I must say that right now, it feels pretty good to be sitting back in the boss's seat. Now, if I can just remind myself to not step down again. So, who is the boss in your home? Do you have any ideas to help us reconfirm that role in our home? I would love to hear from you if you do!

1 comment:

Aspiemom said...

Sounds like a good series. My son get's confused at time because he's told his dad is the boss, but dad is away during the week and then Mom tends to be boss! Sometimes I have to remind him God gave him to us to parent and not be his friend!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin