Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Honoring Your Parents

I know we all have heard one of the commandments is to honor your mother and father. That is one I think all of our parents are quick to teach us as a child. :) But this past week, I was able to join in as one of my daughters sweet friends was able to honor her sweet mom by throwing her a surprise birthday party.
 Her mom is a dear friend of mine and I adored being able to spend time with her daughter and watching her work. It amazed me at how much detail this 10 year old little girl went into with the planning. When I picked her up to go shopping for things, she had a list ready. She knew the stores she needed to hit and what she wanted. When I dropped my oldest daughter off to "babysit" for her birthday dinner out with her husband, I actually was getting her out of the house so we all could decorate. Even in decorating this little gal had plans and knew just what she wanted to do. It was precious. 


 She had the balloons ready. The cake ordered from a mutual friend and we had purchased plates and such the day before. So everything was set up and then she waited....or maybe more like paced. :)


 She could not wait to see her mom's face. She kept looking out to see if they were returning from their special dinner. And when she finally saw their van, she greeted them on the street! :)

 When mom finally got out of the van, she was so thrilled! She had no idea and was truly blessed by all the people that were standing in her garage. At first, I was so happy to see her joy and excitement but then I shifted my glance to her daughter.
 There stood a sweet girl gazing at her momma with such adoration and love that it truly touched my heart. I know this picture doesn't do that moment justice but both of my friends girls were totally captivated by her at that moment.
 When she finally got to hug her mom, the total unconditional love she felt showed across her sweet face. I was truly touched and so happy to have been a part of this sweet fragrance of a child's love and honoring a parent.
 A few things I pulled away from this little life lesson:
   1.) Whether we realize it or not, our children are watching us and learning how to honor one another by what we teach. This young girl displayed back to her mom what was taught to her. It was beautiful. So, am I displaying such grace and love to my girls?

  2.) I loved the way this sweet girl looked at her momma with such adoration and respect. How are my girls looking at me? What do I need to erase from my life to allow more moments of honoring my parents and girls? Am I teaching them to honor one another?

 3.) Most of all, do I look at my Heavenly Father with the same longing and love as this young girl looked at her momma? Do I yearn to run into His arms and feel that peace and comfort only He can bring? Do I honor Him with all I do?

I am sure there will be more things I walk away from this sweet moment, but I know one thing for sure...if any of my girls' friends ever ask me to help them with doing something to honor their parents...well, you can count me in!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin