Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Power of a Mom's Words

Recently, I have been reminded of the power my words have over our girls. I know that their daddy's words speak to them too, trust me, I see their eyes light up when he speaks words of encouragement or their shoulders droop when he is lovingly correcting them. They have a desire to hear him tell them they have done well and they are his pretty girls. But the power of a mom's words speak to the heart of a child in a different ways.

 What words did your mom speak into you that made you who you are today? Were they words of encouragement? Words that make you cringe? What kind of words do you speak into your child's life now? Are they encouraging words or do they tear that child down?

 I have witnessed or heard of way too many moms using the power of their words to control their child or tear them down in order for the mom to feel better. It saddens me to see or hear of a mom taking out her frustration on her children. Now, don't get me wrong, we all snap and are a bit snarkier with our kids from time to time. And for that we apologize as we should. I am talking about the situations where the only positive words that child hears comes from someone outside the home. Do we realize what that does to a child? If their own mom can not find something worth praising, then there must be something wrong with them...is what goes through their head I am sure! As a praise junky, I know even now what happens to my heart when I hear my mom tell me she likes what she sees me doing or who I have become. The reverse is true as well, if I have let her down or made her angry, her words of disappointment cut me to the core of who I am. I am over 40 and my mom's words still have that kind of power in my life. Imagine what a 8 year old kiddo must feel if mom never praises her/him. Think of what they must feel as they go off to school....how can they perform their best when the one person who should believe in them most has no faith in them?

 I challenge all of us to use our words to our children wisely. Speak truth into them, correct them when needed, but most of all love on them through the words you choose so you can witness God's plan for that child rise up and shine. Don't smother them with false truths, don't cover them with sappy words....speak words of power, words of truth, words that live on in their mind as they become what God created them to be. I still hear my mom's voice in my head when I go to do certain things and I am sure you are the same. Our decision now is what tone will that voice be in our child's head and what words will they hear you saying over and over? I know for me, I want my girls to hear my voice telling them over and over how precious they are to God and us, how they can do anything God wants them to and they set their mind on, that they are strong women of God who are made for more than whatever the trial they go through. I want them to find Him and His comfort through my words....so what do I need to change now to make that be a reality? Hmmmm......

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin