Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Being a Man!

My sweet man is on an adventure of a lifetime with a group of 12 men from our church, including our pastor who kind of spear-headed this entire adventure. Several months ago, our pastor threw down a challenge to various guys to go to the Grand Canyon and hike from rim to rim in a day. It is said it can't be done, but they know it can. They have a plan and are prepared to conquer the beast tomorrow. Yesterday and today they are hiking in Bryce Canyon to prepare for the big adventure tomorrow. The pictures he has sent have been gorgeous and the sound of his voice is full of excitment...like a little boy seeing presents around the tree on Christmas!

With this journey I have found it amazing how many people, women especially, immediately comment on my husband's trip as "ridiculous, irresponsible, childish, selfish, immature,crazy", to name a few. I think I have probably thought some of those words myself throughout the planning process, yet God has been good to me to never allow me to speak those words to my man as he prepared to leave. That is one thing I have learned over 19 years of marriage....even when I think what my man is doing is the silliest thing on earth, if he is passionate about it, keep silent, take my concerns to God and wait. Sometimes, those passions dwindle and I see that God took care of that one. Other times, like this trip, I see God softening my heart and letting me know He is in control. Regardless, at least there was no belittling of my man to where he feels disrespected in his own home.

The comments other women have given to me makes me wonder if they or I fully understand what it means to be a man of God? I fully believe these testosterone trips are good for my man. I see a change in him when he returns. Whether it be hammering a roof on with a friend, dirt bike riding, scuba diving or trekking through the Grand Canyon, he needs times to put off the worries of the world, which for a guy is a lot, and just grunt, scratch, play. Ha! When he returns, I get the joy of seeing God's work in his life/heart and the fruit of that is I get a better husband/dad. So it is a win/win for all of us. When we, as wives, belittle what God has put in their hearts....to get out in nature, build things, hunt, hike, go fast, etc, we take away a part of their manhood. I don't want to be married to a girly man. I LOVE that my guy is all guy and needs these outings. I challenge all of us wives to hold our tongues when our guys are doing something we feel is just crazy....unless we are willing to be called the same as we head to the crafting corner. As much as we need to do our own thing from time to time in order to feel refreshed, we need to honor how God created our men to be just that...MEN!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Darling you have stated this perfectly! I so love to see your heart <3 Thanks for sharing :-)

christina grandstaff said...

My love typically takes 2 mini guy trips a year. I'll admit that early in our marriage, when our children were small and there was more hands-on work in a day with them, I wasn't such a big fan. However, in 13.5 years I have also become aware of what a good thing it is for him to get away, bond with the men, and come back refreshed. It's really good for everyone involved! I do miss him when he's gone, though!

Anonymous said...

Well said!

Dawn said...

You have just fleshed out a beautiful opportunity to be a submissive wife, apparently with the temptation to do otherwise.

Loved this thoughts:

"there was no belittling of my man to where he feels disrespected in his own home."

I think this is huge for a husband. You nailed this.

Hope he has a great time, and you girls do some girlie things while he's gone.

Enjoy!

Nicole said...

Amen! Will be praying for the guys tomorrow... Can't wait to hear all about it when they get back home! Thinking of you all...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin