Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Labels, labels, labels!

Lately, we have been working at trying to figure out just how God wired one of our girls little minds. Both of our girls are very bright in different ways. Amazingly, they recall facts and details of what we study as well as daily life events in ways that just sit me on my heels! Regardless, for one of my girls, school work is just hard. Writing, spelling and reading to be exact. Math is a breeze. Anyway, we have been trying to figure out if there is some kind of disconnect in her little brain causing her to not be able to what she wants to do so badly and others her age do daily. So, in that process, I am finding that there are really two worlds out there...the label her people and the don't label her people. I think I understand both sides, yet I am starting to have a bit of an opinion with this as we deal with it personally and oddly it is exactly the opposite of what I use to feel when I was teaching in my classroom years ago!

When we go to the grocery store, how do we know what to buy? How do we figure out what foods are best for our family? We read labels. When we are buying gas for our van, what tells me I am putting the right kind in my van? Labels. Look, a label is just letting you know what is inside. It allows the person to know what they are "getting" so the recipe can be followed for a complete cake. I just know right now, as her mom and teacher, I do not know what I am dealing with completely and I need to know how God wired her little mind so I can learn how to best teach her and prepare her for life on her own as she continues to grow. Without knowing this, I feel frustrated and like I am playing that lovely baby shower game with the baby food jars that have the labels torn off....total frustration! That frustration is not just with my teaching her and not finding success. The bigger frustration comes from within her. She feels it. She knows she can't do these things and it makes her mad and it really has started to make her feel like she is not smart, which is so not true! The girl can give us directions from the lake to our house with no help which is an hour away! That is not a girl who is not smart!

Regardless, I just keep praying that we will go to the right place and find what we are dealing with so we can find the things that will give us the tools to connect those wires of learning for her. I can't wait till we finally do that and those light bulbs start going off one after another in her little brain! It is going to be a bit like fireworks around here soon! I can just feel it!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin